Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

30 for 30 Remix Summer Edition: The Finale

Now here's the finale post of my 30 for 30 Remix Challenge: The Summer Edition. Over the summer, I came up with 30 outfits from just 30 pieces from my closet, including shoes.  Before that, I did my 50 for 50 Project, which was derived from this 30 for 30 Challenge, and which was in turn inspired by Kendi Everyday.  And just like in my 50 for 50 Project, I'm still amazed at how I was able to come up with this much outfits, given the limited number of clothes I had to work with.


I already told you about my philosophies and inspirations in coming up with these style challenges for myself (read here, here and here).  Now, I want to share with you the lessons and tips on wardrobe remixing that I practiced in these two style challenges: 

1. Be creative
Among other reasons, I did these challenges because I wanted to rethink my wardrobe. I have lots of clothes but was often faced with the dilemma of thinking up what to wear, or wanting to have something new to wear despite the finite number of clothes.

But then I realized, the more important thing is to be creative with mixing and matching existing clothes to come up with new outfit ideas.  Sometimes, I tend to get lazy in coming up with outfits and that laziness may manifest in just buying up new clothes instead of working with what I have. And like I said before, that kind of consumption is not a sustainable way of living (either for the environment or my wallet).

After doing these style challenges, I realized that the items in my closet may be finite in number, but  the number of outfit possibilities in my closet may be endless.  All it takes is just just using my creative juices to good use.

2. Styling tool: Layering
For most of us in the corporate world and who are in our air-conditioned offices almost everyday, layering is an easy way to mix and match and come up with easy outfit ideas (meaning, yes, we can work with layering even here in the tropics). Don't forget to use your blazers, jackets, and cardigans for your outfits.  And as I've learned here and here, even button down shirts (or even shirt dresses) can be worn as a layering piece.
One More Colorblocking.

3. Evaluate the versatility of your clothes
From tops that can be worn in the workplace or on the weekends, to dresses that can be used as a dress, skirt, or top, my Summer Edition of this style challenge was all about VERSATILITY (especially since I really couldn't layer as much because of the summer heat). These style challenges have now made me look at the existing items in my closet with new eyes---how else can I wear each piece aside from its usual use or pairings? 
30 for 30 remix_ikat print dress

4. Work with your most loved items in your closet. 
How did I choose the pieces that I used for my style challenges? Well, basically, it was a combination of the items being versatile and that I loved that particular item. And I made sure that I had a bit of everything---tops, jackets/cardigans, skirts, bottoms, and dresses. The versatility of each item may be different for each of us. for example, my pencil skirts are my go-to pieces for work because they're the foundation for my work wardrobe. 

Usually, if you love an item in your closet, you'll tend to wear it more often.  And I guess the converse is also true. If you find yourself tending to wear an item more often than any other piece in your closet, then you can conclude that you love that piece. If you love an item in your closet, then you'll want to work with it more and wear it to death, and use to come up with lots of outfits. Think also of the cost per wear formula when buying and wearing clothes.

If you can't do something like this 30 for 30 style challenge, another way to practice your versatility and making the most of what you already have is to pick 8 of the most-loved items in your closet and use them to come up with 10 looks.   Use that as a starting point, and surprise yourself with what you can come up with.


5. Styling tool: Colorblocking
I Really Love Colorblocking.

Another way to remix your wardrobe is to do colorblocking. Using solid-colored pieces, you can easily come up with several ways to wear and match your existing pieces just by varying one color/piece. Read about my tips on colorblocking brights here and remember that you can do this not just with bright colors but also with neutrals and pastels.


6. Styling tool: Color palettes
When I've run out of outfit ideas, I just think about a color palette that I want to work with and I easily get new combinations. For example, using black and white as your color palette, think of the outfits you can come up with from what you already have in your closet. My other favorites are all black, all white, red, solid + animal print, and nautical.

Color palettes are also an easy way to keep up with trends without really overhauling your wardrobe every season. Check out blogs and fashion websites for the current color trends. For example, supposedly one of the biggest color trends for spring/summer 2012 is mint green. So, check out if your closet already has mint green pieces and just incorporate them in your daily wardrobe.  Remember that some trends just get "recycled" (animal print, metallics, floral prints, even color blocking) and can eventually become classics.

Hot Pink & Zebra PrintBlack & White + Yellow
Color palette: bright + animal print

.Nautical Chic
Color palette:nautical

All White for the Weekend.
Color palette: all white

Black & White + Red.
Color palette: black, white, & red

7. Styling tool: Mix prints 
Don't be afraid to mix prints, like floral on floral, or stripes with floral.
.Stripes and Floral

8. It's all about having fun!
I ask myself why I do this and at the end of the day, my answer is that I have fun doing it.  Dressing up is fun, and it's not a chore for me to shop around in my own closet and come up with these outfit combinations.  The moment it stops being fun, then that's when I'll go shopping! (haha, just kidding).

I really don't know at this time whether I'll be continuing on with more style remixes. On the one hand, I'm kind of enjoying these freewheeling days when I don't need to come up with outfits given X number of pieces. I kind of enjoy having my "full" closet back again, and I don't need to have my outfits photographed almost daily (mind you, that too takes its toll).

But on the other hand, having my full closet back and working again with all my clothes is, in a way, overwhelming. There's an aspect of it that makes me think "option paralysis"---now that I have lot more pieces to work with, then it seems the outfit decisions are harder to make, as opposed to knowing that I only have to work with just a few.

So I guess the moment when I no longer enjoy being able to work with all my clothes again, I'll make another style remix for myself again :)

How about you? I hope my 50 for 50 Project and 30 for 30 remix challenge have inspired you to do your own remixing. And please, do share with me your tips on how you mix and match your own wardrobe :) Cheers!




1 comment:

  1. Ang bilis! I'm sure it's getting easier for you now. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...