Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Uniqlo Opens in Manila

Uniqlo Mall of Asia
On Saturday morning, I found myself going to Mall of Asia (MOA) to go to Uniqlo. It just opened the day before and though I heard from friends that the first day was a nightmare with so many people in the store, I figured, going there early on the second day would give me a good chance.

I was there about 15 minutes before the 10 AM opening time and silly me for thinking that there won't be any line. Because this is what I saw when I arrived:

.
The line was already U-shaped and snaking around the 2nd level of MOA!! I almost turned back when I saw that the Uniqlo staff holding up the "end of the line here" showed that I had to wait 1 hour to get in. But I guess that was based on their experience on opening day because thankfully, I was inside the store about less than 15 minutes after the store opened. Yey!
.
Scary, there were even bouncers at the entrance:
.
.

I didn't really take a lot of pictures in the store. For one, I was doing it surreptitiously (with my S90 and iPhone) since when I asked a staff, I was told that they don't allow photos to be taken inside (although I realized later on that with all the chaos, some of the staff didn't really care and I saw one or two customers taking pictures inside the store). And the other reason was that I was too busy looking around shopping!
Uniqlo opens in Manila #coloredjeans #shopping
The whole hoopla of Uniqlo's store opening was that there were many items being sold at the introductory price of P590.
.
There were lines for the fitting room and lines for the cashiers. 
.

I thought I would be buying these colored jeans at just P590 (they were selling like hotcakes). But when I got to fit them, I found that they didn't fit me well.
IMG_0456


All in all, I noticed that Uniqlo's clothes were a bit basic, which I quite appreciated since that works well with my quality over quantity principle when it comes to clothes lately. In my sweep of the store, Uniqlo seemed to have nothing too trendy (like Forever 21) or nothing too serious and corporate-suited (like Zara).
IMG_0457
IMG_0462
Fitted this shirt but ended up not buying it
There were "character" shirts like Barbie shirts selling at P590, with some quirky designs and prints, but not my style. Saw some classic striped shirts but I thought their fit was weird and besides, a bit pricey for just some basic shirts. 


That said, they have easy, basic pieces that you can layer or style with your existing clothes to come up with almost any outfit. They have these basic men's V-neck tees (see picture above) starting at just P290 (wearable even for women but you can't fit these though), with men's tees with higher cotton grade are priced higher.
IMG_0458

They also have clothes for kids:
IMG_0461
IMG_0460
 
I ended up getting just two pairs of cropped denim pants, in white and mint green (P990 each).  They had a good fit on me and I've been looking for this slimming cropped style since forever. See how I've styled them for work:
Uniqlo find w/ a fifties twist #ootd #custom sheer top/ #f21 blazer/ #uniqlo cropped pants/ #parisian heels/ #topshop flats/#sover vintage sunnies

Forever 21 Blazer/ Custom made sheer top/ Uniqlo white cropped pants/ Bayo bag/ Parisian heels/ Bayo bag/ Sover vintage sunnies

.

#ootd #alexane blazer/ #bazaar top/ #uniqlo cropped pants/ scarf from #hongkong/ #rayban aviators/ #gifted heels/ #longchamp leather tote scored fr #ebay

Alexane blazer/ Fuchsia top from bazaar/ Scarf from Hong Kong/ Uniqlo mint green cropped pants/ Gifted pumps/ Longchamp leather tote/ Rayban aviators

I almost didn't buy these pants since they weren't on sale anyway and I thought I could just go back to Uniqlo when I could shop at leisure instead of roughing it up with the rest of the crowd (totally not the optimal situation to shop and make good acquisition decisions). But I'm glad I trusted my shopping instinct because as this photo shows, most of the items (especially these best-selling lounge pants) were totally wiped out: 
Out of stock in Uniqlo
Photo from Chuvaness
As I've said, I would go back to Uniqlo for basic pieces. Some would say that for basic pieces, they could be a bit expensive---like there were leggings there for about P800 I think. But knowing how black leggings are really a must in my wardrobe, I'd say that's not a bad price for well-fitting leggings made with good material.  The P990-cropped pants that I got were also a bargain, I'd think. Compared to similar colored jeans in the market, the material doesn't seem as if it would stretch out in a bad way. And based on how I've worn them so far, they can be incorporated with the rest of my wardrobe well.

I was in the Uniqlo store by around 10:15 and was out by 11:30 in the morning.  And since I was one of the first customers inside that day, I even got a free Uniqlo tote, which is simply perfect for shopping, and it's foldable too:
..


All in all, I'd say, it was a good way to spend my Saturday morning :) Cheers!




6 comments:

  1. I have to agree, Uniqlo is very basic. The jeans they sold here were too stiff and unflattering. Good thing you got 2 pairs that fit you well! I got the cashmere sweaters and some Heat Tech tanks that I wear underneath my sweaters in the winter. Other than that, I would rather buy the basics at the Gap or J.Crew.

    Btw, I have the same free tote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi May! Gap here isn't that cheap ha---it's quite expensive actually. I would love to have J.Crew come here but based on the prices on their websites, not that cheap too right, even by US standards? But I agree with you , there's a part of me that says that basic stuff shouldn't be this expensive, especially when they're just shirts (For an P800 striped shirt, I'd rather buy in Zara) but maybe for stuff like Uniqlo's leggings--if they have good quality material, ok lang :)

      Delete
    2. I forgot that Gap's expensive there! Jen told me about it too. You have to wait for Sample Sales and the extra 30% off on top of sale prices when it comes to J.Crew. Pag full price, mahal talaga but you can see that you're paying for quality naman. Speaking of Zara, sale starts tomorrow in US! Thank God for online sales!

      Delete
  2. I really don't know what to think of Uniqlo. I love their peanuts shirts but their clothes are really basic and well, there are other shops where I can get the exact same pieces for lower price and with a better fit. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree with you there. That's why I think I ended up just buying those 2 pairs of cropped pants and the rest really didn't impress me, fit and price-wise :)

      Delete
  3. My daughter has been begging me to take her since it opened, but I won't... maybe till after the fever dies down. I hardly find anything to buy at Uniqlo abroad... except for their leggings. You are right for basic cotton tees, Zara sells them at a better quality, even better than the quality of the cotton tees of Gap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...