Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Domestic Goddess: Lemon Sugar Scrub

This Sunday afternoon, inspired by Ashley of Turquoise & Teale, I decided to make my own homemade lemon sugar scrub.
Lemon Sugar Scrub (14)
Based on this recipe, all I needed were the following:
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon zest (grated)
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Lemon Sugar Scrub (4)
For each batch of 1 cup of sugar, I used up 1 piece of medium lemon (I got 4 lemons in SM Supermarket for around P60). I also used extra virgin olive oil since that was only what I found in the house---I don't know if that has any effect on the quality of the scrub but I suggest using regular olive oil since that's cheaper :)

Lemon Sugar Scrub (20)
I didn't actually know what lemon zest was so I attempted to grate the actual lemon itself. Then I figured, maybe I should grate the lemon peel instead to get the needed grated texture. And it was only after making this that I Googled "lemon zest" and found out that it's in fact grated lemon peel! :)
Lemon Sugar Scrub (5)
And while I was making this, my niece Laena couldn't resist and asked me if she could grate the peels herself. :) This is actually something that the kids can do with you. And it's more fun too!
Lemon Sugar Scrub (6)
Then I just mixed in everything together, placed the mixture in an airtight glass jar, and spruced it up with some ribbon and label :) Voila, the Sunset Goddess turns Domestic Goddess! :)
Lemon Sugar Scrub (11)
While making this was super easy, I still really loved having to do something with my hands :) I miss baking and this simple activity made me want to take that up again, even by just doing our own family recipes in the kitchen.
Lemon Sugar Scrub (12)
I tried the scrub for an afternoon shower. The exfoliation from the sugar feels so good and the fresh lemon scent was very refreshing as well. The olive oil leaves skin super moisturized---no need for oil or lotion after your shower. The scrub can be used on dry or damp skin. This can also be a perfect hostess gift too :)

I also found another recipe with another formulation for lemon sugar scrub here. I'll definitely try it soon. This was certainly a lovely way to spend my Sunday afternoon :)

How was your weekend? Hope you're having a good one, as I am :) Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...