Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Great Finds for Organizing My Vanity Dresser

Organizing Vanity Dresser (45)
My vanity dresser plays an essential part in my life. My day will not start out right if I don't take time to sit down in front of the dresser and take time out to do makeup and put on my accessories. It doesn't matter if I do full-on makeup or just the basics. What matters is that I know I've set time for myself every day (no matter how little), doing something I find enjoyable. It's only then that I'm ready to take on the day and the demands of the world (in fab clothes too of course!).

My vanity dresser has been in the family since forever. It belonged to my aunt then it was used by my cousins and I when we were growing up together in our common room and now it's with me. The wood is real hard wood, not the low quality kind one gets in the department stores these days. It had its share of being battered through the years and has achieved a certain shabby chic quality, which I find charming. However, the mess of my vanity dresser is not charming at all. Before organizing my vanity, I am ashamed to admit that this was how it looked:
Organizing Vanity Dresser (2)
And this was my makeup drawer (more shame!):
Organizing Vanity Dresser (4)
It got to a point where I couldn't take the mess anymore and I knew I had to have a permanent solution to the mess. So, I went shopping and came across super great finds that helped me organize. And the end result was this:
Organizing Vanity Dresser (7)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (21)
Aside from the dividers and useful containers, the most important principle that I followed was that everything must be in its place. I took out everything that didn't or shouldn't belong in the dresser such as toiletries, gadgets, and paper knickknacks. Also, I wanted a certain cohesion to the containers---I wanted clear boxes or containers for my stuff but I found the acrylic/ Lucite containers in Make Room and Howard's Storage World too expensive. On the other hand, I didn't want the usual plastic storage boxes in department stores since they look cheap.

On top of the containers that I already have, it was really cool that I found almost everything in Robinson's Galleria Mall. First off, I went to Saizen, the P85 Japanese store, which I will now declare as my new favorite store. :) I found so many great stuff there, including clear plastic boxes of different sizes for my accessories and makeup.
Organizing Vanity Dresser
I bought all dividers for my makeup drawer over at Saizen. This 4-part divider holds primers and foundations, eyeliners and eyebrow stuff, Body Shop shimmer waves and bronzers, and some pots of eyeshadow.
Organizing Vanity Dresser (28)
Then another divider holds all my lip colors, which I sorted according to reds, nudes, pinks and glosses. The next time I buy lipstick, I have to throw away an old one or else it won't fit. That's one more perk of organizing, you buy new stuff only when there's space for them. Or else, you make one :)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (29)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (31)
The other dividers in my drawer contain my mineral makeup, blushes, and other bronzers, and the other divider is for all my other eye colors. The rest of the drawer contains loose powder, sponges, makeup palettes and travel-size makeup.
Organizing Vanity Dresser (23)
Then on top of my vanity, I placed my frequently used makeup, or those which I more or less use daily. I found this accessory stand in Japan Home Center (P88), which was exactly what I was looking for.
Organizing Vanity Dresser (14)
This clear stand was a Saizen find (P85), which is perfect for holding all my makeup brushes and tools.
Organizing Vanity Dresser (15)
And this holder was also from Saizen (P85), to hold my hair brushes and combs:
Organizing Vanity Dresser (67)
Now, on to accessories. I looove these clear boxes (P85 each) from Saizen, which holds my large earrings, rings, watches, and bracelets. They look so much like expensive acrylic containers but at a fraction of the price! :)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (39)
And another great find were these lovely large clear boxes from Robinson's Department Store, which now holds my bangles and necklaces used in heavy rotation. Originally priced at P299.75 each, I got each of them at half off for P149.88 only! :) Now I hope I'll be able to beat the tendency to forget the stuff that I have since I can see most of them already :)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (18)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (42)
I also bought these mirrors at Robinson's Department Store. I took one apart from its original frame and used it as the base for the vanity, while the other one remained in its original frame but was also used as a base, making the dresser easier to clean :)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (38)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (70)
I also made use of my existing stuff. This accessories organizer was a Christmas gift from my friend Aissa and now holds my bangles (wrapped in resealable bags to prevent corrosion) and some of my sunglasses.
Organizing Vanity Dresser (33)
This pink plastic container holds my earrings, which I have yet to sort though. :)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (20)
Then I had a coffee, sugar, tea container set made of glass lying around the house but didn't use them for that since the containers weren't airtight. I repurposed them for my dresser and now they hold my ponytail bands, small perfumes and rocks and shells collected from travels. Since the containers are not airtight, they're so easy to open :) Another clear plastic box holds clips and hair pins.
Organizing Vanity Dresser (12)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (55)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (51)
I also had this plate (I can no longer remember if got in SM or in Landmark but it was super cheap) and it was only now that I was organizing that I discovered that it's from the Chris Madden for JCPenney home decor collection. I repurposed it to hold my perfume and cologne.
Organizing Vanity Dresser (19)
And finally, this sauce plate which I bought months ago in SM Homeworld holds my watch, jewelry, and red nail polish although the red polish are there more for decorative effect :)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (62)
The joy I feel every morning sitting by my vanity dresser to get ready for work or before going out at night will surely be multiplied by seeing all my stuff so organized. I hope I inspired you to do some home organization of your own, even just starting out with something so superfluous as yes, one's vanity dresser. But I figured, if a girl can organize her vanity dresser and what more, keep it organized, then that's a real accomplishment. Here's hoping mine will still look as organized as this weeks and weeks after. Cheers! :)
Organizing Vanity Dresser (50)

7 comments:

  1. Can I hire you to organize my room? It's an utter mess!

    I need to start cleaning soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel :) hahaha, pwede! :)I saw your walk in closet before, super nice kaya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of putting hair binders in a glass jar. My daughter has her bathroom organized, but all her hair stuff is in plastic baggies. I'm totally going to do this for her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. inspiring post SGM! i love how you made use of the jars! -B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have so much stuff!

    And I really need to put my organisation hat on to get the same sort of order to my own dresser!

    Great work girl! Now it's just yours to enjoy!


    Lots of love from Sydney,

    x Kel

    currently living in Purple Rain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girls :)I'm glad I inspired you :)
    And to Crystal, thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. acckk... i want to head out to Robinson's right now for those clear containers! great way to organize the mess of accessories in my closet :) thanks!

    *blog-hopped from a mischmashed life

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...