Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lookbook: Kids & A Bohemian Summer

Bohemian Summer (19)
Inspired by the maxi skirt trend, I shopped my tita's closet and found this gorgeous patchwork skirt, which I learned she bought in the States way back in the 80's. And it is still as fab as ever, with the colors still bright and the cotton not frayed at all :)
Bohemian Summer (18)
I know I should keep everything else simple but the colorful skirt made me want to go all out bohemian and lean towards the "more is more" philosophy. This skirt is so forgiving and may be worn even on "I feel fat" days and even if I'm petite, I think I still pulled it off even with flats :) In fact, some even say that long skirts can even make petite women look taller since it lengthens the look, especially if you pair it with wedges or clogs.
Bohemian Summer (9)
Bohemian Summer (11)
But keep in mind that this trend is still not as easy as other pieces to style. From Glamour Magazine, I found some Easy Steps for Pulling Off the Maxi Skirt in Style:
#1. Define that waist. There's one surefire way to look like a shapeless sack in a maxi skirt--by hiding your gorgeous figure under too much fabric. Glamour suggests adding a belt to give you a distinct silhouette and help emphasize the waist.
Bohemian Summer (4)
#2: Show a little skin. Glamour says that a little flash of flesh will keep your maxi skirt far from grandma territory. I decided to pair it with a beaded white cotton tank top, which I chose over a brown tank top because it was all looking too dark.
Bohemian Summer (7)
With my first choice of brown tank top from Mango.
(I only included this photo because I look so happy here!)
Bohemian Summer (10)
#3: Mind your proportions. Glamour cautions that this one is especially helpful if you're not a supermodel--don't go big on the top and big on the bottom, because too much volume can give the appearance that you're bigger than you really are. So to flaunt curves, tuck in a fitted top or if you want to cover up, you can use a boyfriend blazer and cinch your waist with a belt. I used a fitted top and a belt for definition.
Bohemian Summer (20)
I tied the look together with a brown fringed satchel bag with turquoise details, stacked wooden bangles, and embellished flats, all in keeping with a more-is-more bohemian look.
Bohemian Summer (1)
Bohemian Summer (16)
embellished flats
Bohemian Summer
White cotton embellished tank top -bought in bazaar
Vintage brown leather belt- gift from A.'s mom
Vintage maxi skirt-from Tita Gay's closet
Thrifted brown fringed satchel bag
Camel embellished SM Department Store flats
Bangles from The Landmark, Boracay, and Ilocos

I wore this outfit one Saturday afternoon spent malling and shopping with my nephews and nieces (children of my cousins) who are always a joy to be around, and such joys to photograph also. :)
Bunny Ray, Christine, and Chayana
Bohemian Summer (43)
Bohemian Summer (21)
Distracted by these super cheap summery espadrilles. I want the coral one!
Bohemian Summer (23)
The kids being kids
Bohemian Summer (22)
Chandrika strikes a pose
Bohemian Summer (41)
And for my blog's first ever "share the contents of your bag" feature, I present to you my 8-year old niece, Chayana and her Hello Kitty bag :)
Bohemian Summer (25)
Nail polish & lip gloss
Bohemian Summer (26)
8 years old and already with H & M Hello Kitty lip gloss and eyeshadow! Talo ako!
Bohemian Summer (27)
Bohemian Summer (24)
She even has an eco bag, toy cellphones, a real cellphone, and pink sunglasses :)
Bohemian Summer (28)
And then we enjoyed the rest of the afternoon enjoying the simple joys of McDonald's and hot fudge sundae :) I'm sorry for so many pictures of these kids but I'm being such a stage tita :)
My cousin-in-law Myra and her son, Ethan
Bohemian Summer (30)
With Chayana and Tintin
Bohemian Summer (31)
Bohemian Summer (36)
Bohemian Summer (32)
Ethan loves his sundae!
Bohemian Summer (33)
And his sister Eirian too!
Bohemian Summer (37)
Bohemian Summer (34)
Bohemian Summer (38)
Bohemian Summer (40)
"No more sundae?"
Bohemian Summer (39)
Wishing everyone lazy Saturday afternoons, super cold ice cream, and the pure joy of children (or being like children) :) Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...