Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Fashion Friday: The Many Lives of the Tie Neck Blouse

Several years ago, it was seen on trend reports everywhere from whowhatwear to Fabsugar. They called it the bow tie blouse. I've also heard it called the pussy bow blouse and the secretary blouse.

Back in 2008
Photo credit: whowhatwear.com

They say that every woman must have a signature look/ fashion item. And if it takes you more than a minute to think about what's yours, then it's NOT your signature look. For me, it's red, animal print, pencil skirts, stacked bangles, printed wrap dresses, sunglasses, and yes, the bow tie blouse. I love all its names and reincarnations. And this year, I'm quite delighted that it's back again on the fashion radar---with a new name this time---the Tie Neck Blouse.
2011 reincarnation
Photo credit: Frugal Fashionistas

Ever since I've started work life more than three years ago, I've always had a version of this blouse circulating in my closet at any one time. I love how this blouse can make a look romantic, classic, professional, and fashionable all at the same time. And over the years, I have amassed more than a few of these blouses, which have become a staple in my wardrobe.

One of my first ever tie neck blouses started out not as that but simply a blouse with a black cloth tied around the waist. I saw the original version in a department store, really liked it but thought it was expensive. So the next time I went to Divisoria, I bought printed chiffon and georgette fabric for less than P150 and had my tailor, Mana Edith, copy the blouse for me from a picture stored in my camera phone. All for less than P500. Sweet! :)

This is the blouse I had made back in 2007, turning a belted blouse into an instant tie neck blouse simply by tying the black cloth belt around the neck. And I do that even for my other blouses too :) If you look closely at the picture above, you'll even see the belt loop :)

Made to order tie neck polka dot blouse over black Mango tank top
SM Department Store slim black belt with leopard print detail
Rico Salandanan from The Landmark black pencil skirt

Charles & Keith heels

I have lusted over Rachel Bilson's white bow tie blouse ever since I can remember.
I've been meaning to have Mana Edith make one for me in white cotton this time. Will definitely buy the fabric on my next Divisoria or Fabric Warehouse trip. But I guess this version of the blouse is a bit too much, no? :) I know I can wear this...but I know a lot of people will not understand!

Anyway, the simple lesson for today, my friends, is that fashion trends come and go...and come back again. So, let's not throw away our fashion finds, especially the classics :) I know I'll never get tired of the tie neck/ pussy bow/ secretary/ bow tie blouse and I can see myself wearing this classic piece well into my fifties and sixties ---or at least a variation of it, with most probably a new name to boot! :)

Cheers! :)






P.S. My pictures for this post (except detail shots) were taken by my 7 year old niece, Laena (for more gorgeous angles!) Here's a picture of her, without any direction from me on how to pose. I love it! :) Looks like this girl will follow in my footsteps :)

3 comments:

  1. this outfit is very you! wala lang yung bangles hehe. love, B

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw sunset goddess, may i request you do beauty reviews/rituals as well? thanks! love, B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, B :) Thanks for your request, that's a great suggestion :) Maybe I should "feature" you & your beauty products here a la glossy :) hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...