Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Eco Bag Solution + Relief Ideas

 
The aftermath of the monsoon rains and floods which have poured on Metro Manila and neighboring provinces starting on August 6, 2012 until today is simply heartbreaking.    While I have been lucky not to suffer from the floods and was not even inconvenienced with a power outage (the only major change in our household was that the cable was out until this evening), I know a lot of people are still suffering, whether in big or small ways. I am simply thankful that all my loved ones and family members and myself are safe, dry, and comfortable in our own homes---and I am praying hard that the rains stop for those who are in unfortunate circumstances because of the torrential downpours.  

Relief efforts have already started but the pressing concern in my mind right now is what will be done after those relief efforts have subsided.  Of course, I know that these rescue and relief operations are essential to save priceless lives.  But there's also a part of me that thinks that giving relief bags is the equivalent of giving survivors fish that will feed them for a day, but will not teach them how to fish to feed them for a lifetime. It's a band-aid solution that's needed at the moment, but a band-aid solution nonetheless.
I am no environmentalist nor am I even actively involved in these rescue efforts. Today, as I worked from home with the city surrounded by flooded streets, I monitored news updates via social media sites (of course, Twitter) and shared them via text to those I know who need the updates.  At this point, the most I could give was the gift of our Internet connection, i.e., information.  The area outside our street became a parking lot for those who have evacuated their cars to higher ground.  My brother allowed his friends to charge their mobile phones at the house.

And what else can I do aside from giving donations to relief centers (which to me are just short-term solutions anyway)? Right now, people are out there saving lives but afterwards, can we also save the quality of life of everyone? Today, I saw pictures over at Twitter, which emphasize, more than ever, that these floods are happening because of our poor garbage disposal habits.  And more than just a garbage disposal issue, once again, I go back to the quality of life issue.  Having a better quality of life means better urban planning, correct garbage disposal, job generation, and I'm sorry to have to say this now, but family planning as well. And once and for all, a firm and long-term solution for illegal urban settlers, who more often than not, are the ones clogging natural waterways by building their homes below bridges and on top of sewage systems. 

I feel like I can only do so much but with what I can do, I know my intentions are heartfelt and sincere. Today I have committed myself to amp up my use of eco bags.  I already carry my favorite eco bag from Storage Solutions everyday in my purse but now, more than ever, I will use it to death, along with all the other eco bags that I already have (in fact, I've already collected a lot). No more plastic and paper bags whenever I go shopping and buy groceries.  This is my commitment  to myself and my personal contribution to my Manila.  And I will endeavor to convince the rest of my household to use eco bags as well.

.
Reusable bag from Storage Solutions
I've also seen these creative relief bag ideas from Jenni Epperson, using cloth rags and old T-shirts:
Very simple but will effectively eliminate the use of plastic bags for relief goods, which will only add to the problem instead of the solution. 

How else can we help? Some of my favorite bloggers give relevant information through the following posts:
Tomorrow, I will go back to work.   I'm not brave enough to do the actual rescue efforts myself and I don't think I'm physically strong enough anyway. So I have to go back to work and be productive in my own way.  That much I can do, and that is where I'm also needed.  That is where I will do my part to contribute. My kudos and prayers for everyone joining in the rescue and relief operations. 

Life will definitely go on but hopefully when we reach that proverbial calm after the storm, we would have found our way on the path towards long term solutions for this little piece of the world we call home.

Images via Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. Good idea about the shirt to wrap the canned goods. What's really hard now is that people still can't see or are disciplined enought to stop throwing trash everywhere. This will keep on repeating for as long as we don't learn this lesson. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good input Judy! O kaya…. mga bayong o timba for wet food like isda, karne, etc…. Ito poh yon mga bitbit nuon pag na-mamalengke. Dapat talaga bumalik na tayo sa lumang panahon na walang plastic bag. But it will take time to change our ways…nasanay na kc tayong gumagamit ng plastic bags. Self-discipline lang talaga ang kailangan. If we can reduce waste, then it is much cleaner place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That everybody wants to change the world thing is so true!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...